It's funny living in the city. Some things are so convenient. We've got great public transportation, a number of great cultural events, ethnic restaurants, and more. But what did I really need this week? A dollar store and a fireworks stand. Let me tell you DC really dropped the ball on this one. The capitol of The United States of America, independence day is less than a week away and there is not a fireworks stand to be found, take me back to the west please.
And my dollar store debacle...I decided to search online for a dollar store, I found one that was in walking distance of my work to go to on my lunch break. So I walk about seven blocks onto streets I've never been. Suddenly the streets smell like urine, everything is a bit more dingy, and everybody is looking at me like I don't belong, even though I'm only seven blocks away from downtown and it's the middle of the day. I unconsciously take off my headphones and put my ipod away as my senses are put on alert. I find the hole in the wall dollar store, and the only thing they had there was cleaning supplies and those brown paper rolls that banks have to keep change in. Ok, that's an exaggeration, they had more than that, but this was no Utah dollar store where you can find pretty much anything you need. And nothing there was actually a dollar.
All in all a hilarious/maddening situation. I'm still searching for sparklers and little containers of bubbles....anyone? anyone?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
jenny, love the blog, finally decided to comment.
ReplyDeletedon't even get me started on the time that my friends and i tried to find a thrift store in d.c. to get halloween costumes freshman year ... we, too, ended up in a very, very sketchy place, which we discovered when we noticed the bullet-proof glass the man at the gas station was sitting behind when we went to ask if he knew where a thrift store was.
the problem was compounded by the fact that one of the girls with us was totally nutty and kept getting "lost" to see how long it would take us to notice that she was gone; i guess she was testing how much we cared about her or something. needless to say, we cared about her a little less after that fiasco.
i hope that you still manage to have a good 4th of july, despite being stuck in the nation's fireworks-less capital.
reasons i love jenny corry (this is actually 1% of my affection list):
ReplyDelete- she can find 'everything she needs' at the dollar store (jenny, shoppers has this new great dollar store-esque section - by the frozen foods)
- she'll take off her ipod when requisite.. and help me figure mine out since it employs a lot of effort for me to approach technology
- that she's desperately looking for bubbles and sparklers to make someone's birthday weekend even more perfect (add that to the pinata, streamers, balloons, cake, pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey, AMUSEMENT PARK, etc., etc.). best birthday party i've ever had, and the only time i've had bubbles and sparklers:) THANKS JENNY!!!