*snowcones - Snowie is a personal favorite and yes I did work at a snowie at the warped tour and a snoop dog concert
*random road trips - most recently last weekend we took a trip to Assateague island in Maryland. It's an island where there are wild horses roaming and the beach of course is always incredible. I sure do miss my mountains, but it's great to be close enough to a good beach that it's doable as a day trip.
* watermelon - Not the perfect fruit (that would be a grape) but there's something about eating a watermelon, with the juice dribbling down your face and hands that is so distinctly summeresque
* BBQ's - I've already been to a few this summer, and I'll go to another tonight. It doesn't matter if the food is mediocre for some reason when you cook and eat it outside it's so much better. And I love to just see boys come to life around a grill, it's hilarious.
* Fireworks - So many good memories of laying on a blanket with friends watching explosions above us
* Firebugs - Another east coast find that reminds me of my childhood in Iowa
* Long Days - It's amazing how much more I seem to squeeze into a day with those extra hours. This week I've been taking sculling classes on the Potomac and it surprised me that at 5:30 when my alarm went off the sun is already rising.
* Swimming Pools and Water Parks - Even though this does bring some painful summer memories of hours in the pool screaming at kids as I taught swimming lessons, it's more good than bad. There's nothing like jumping into a pool on an hot muggy east coast day. And I've been craving a trip to seven peaks, I need to find a local water park ASAP.
Well there are a lot more reasons to love summer, but that's a start. And here are a few random photos from our trip to Assateague.

Octopus Odie, Staci, Ryan and I had a lot of fun burying him and alive and creating this sand masterpiece

Hey, send me your friend's Jeff email and I'll send him a link to our next ride! Have you ever done the Wasatch Crest? I've heard it's one of the very best in Utah after you get over puke hill. I'm a little nervous, but I think I'm going.
ReplyDeleteok, the boys coming to life around a grill bit was hilarious. boys and courtney - she said something about carpal tunnel and then mentioned manning the bbq as a potential cause.
ReplyDeletenext time you do the horse island campout i'm IN - miss my mountains and camping too. thank goodness for millions of green trees and lightning bugs.
sigh, summer. i'm sorry that the humidity might all but kill you in august, but let's take these perfect july opening days and milk them.