Friday, June 1, 2007

Welcome to Duck Beach: Greased Watermelons, Crab Hunts, and hundreds of single mormons looking for love

There is a serious tradition that exists on the east coast that I was never aware of until I moved here. Every Memorial Day weekend Mormons flock from areas as far flung as California, Florida, Boston, and Canada (we even had a few Finnish guys to mix things up). Some come seeking love, some want to escape the city life, and some 'girls just wanna have fun.'

Basically you get a group of of your friends, twenty to thirty people, and you rent these massive beach houses for the weekend. Then the fun begins, there are parties every night, a volleyball tournament (which was extremely well organized thanks to my roommate Leanna), skin boarding, wiffleball, impromptu dance parties, kayaking, and just an excuse for everyone to hang out without the stress of work or school. Camille came to visit from Utah, and it was so great to have her here, so she can finally put faces with names and we could spend some much needed quality time. And as many of you know, I am on a quest to get everyone I know in Utah (and other far flung places) to move to DC, and Duck Beach is a major selling point.
See how we grimace in pain as Spence, Jeff, Reed, Todd, Odie and I fight over the greased watermelon.

Me, Dan, Sarah, Courtney, Reed, Odie, and Grayden enjoying the final of the volleyball tournament. Funny note to add to this picture. This is immediately after a few of these guys had decided to bury me in the sand. While I was laying there with my head propped up on a sand pillow perfectly content watching the game this guy trips over me and ruins everything even though my friends had warned him I was there. Well when I sit up I realized it was the ex-BYU volleyball player who had spiked the ball in my face earlier that day. Needless to say our relationship progressed no further.This is the house we stayed in, and the parking lot which was the result of having thirty people stay in your house that was only supposed to sleep eighteen.

Hopefully, when I get some more pictures from other people of the crab hunt and other highlights of the trip I will post them for your viewing pleasure.

3 comments:

  1. Your Memorial Day looks like so much fun! As montanhas tem saudade de voce menina! Volte logo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny! Thank goodness you documented this crazy weekend. The greased watermelon event procured some of the most quotable lines of the trip... It was SO fun to meet the famous Camille, spend time w/ the roommates, sleep on the deck, run from the crabs, etc. etc. And tell me you saw the dolphins...

    Thank you North Carolina for this beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I have wanted to play with a greased watermelon for about a year now......how jealous am I?? Thats it, I am going to Costco right now to get a watermelon and a gigantic jar of vaseline!

    ReplyDelete