Monday, April 23, 2007

NYC Baby

So this weekend I spent exactly 24 hours in New York City, and I had a great time. It's funny comparing road trips in DC to Utah. Instead driving four hours to end up in the red rock heaven of Moab or charming quaint Jackson Hole we have Philly that's two hours away, New York is four hours and Boston is eight. It's a different kind of escape and the adventure always brings the unexpected. For instance on this New York trip we were in China town looking at knock off purses. My roommate Staci (in the middle in the above picture) wanted a particular bag that you had to go a hidden room in a warehouse to see. So we followed this women three blocks away into an alley and through a huge metal door. We climbed four flights of stairs and when she opened the door I was shocked to see about thirty Asian men and women at sewing machines with fabric everywhere working at creating these designer knockoffs for the tourists. I felt like I had stepped back in time about fifty years, or at least crossed the border to a different country.

On our whirlwind tour of New York we visited Central Park, the Brooklyn Bridge, the Manhatten Temple, and Times Square. We also helped my roommate Staci prepare for the annual "Wheeler Party" that her and her brothers host. There were probably around 200 Young Single Adults from the area who came to their Hawaiian themed party, however I was exhausted and really not in the mood to make small talk with a bunch of people that I probably would never see again so I went and took a nap for about an hour and a half, then woke up in time to dance for about a half hour before the party died down. New York is an amazing city, but I was just reminded of how I really don't ever want to live there, when we came back to DC it seemed so small, clean, and familiar. Home.

2 comments:

  1. We're such nerds Jenny, the way we just love everything. And have the best inside jokes. And create the most amazing road trip treats (Oreo/peanut butter Kisses)...
    Yeah, hysterical. Loved it. NYC in perfect weather - who could ask for more? And nothing was cuter than seeing you emerge at like 11:30pm from your 'nap' as the dance party is going on. Didn't stop you from shakin' it up right then and there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, whoa... I thought we were friends Jenny. Knock off purses? And you didn't tell me? I'm hurt. Haha. Luckily I'm off to Thailand next week where I'm sure a plethera of knock offs await me. You're off the hook this time, but don't pull another stunt like that one. If you happen to find any of the Dooney & Bourke zebra knock offs, buy it, mail it and I will pay you back plus compensate your time. I'm kind of jealous that you're so close to all those amazing cities, but I got to ride half of the Alpine Loop on my lunch break today and it was so beautiful. Motorcycle season has started and I'm so glad to work at the point of the mountain.

    ReplyDelete