Thursday, April 5, 2007

Apparently the national cherry blossom festival is a big deal. I’ll be honest, I’d never heard of it until I moved here, and even then I didn’t fully comprehend. Well this weekend I understood. The Japanese donated 3,020 cherry trees to our nation in 1912. They have been planted around our national monuments in Washington D.C. and it is truly spectacular. The trees surround a reflecting pool that lies between the Jefferson and Washington monuments. Yesterday my roommate Sarah and a few other choice souls (a 6 a.m. departure time for a bike ride is a great weeder to find the truly hard core) packed a crepe breakfast and headed to the monuments for a pre work picnic at the cherry blossoms. It was incredible, I think our friend Cristy put it best when she said we were privileged to see “dawn’s rosy fingers trail across the blooming sky.”


2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! I wish I could be there with you to see the cherry blossoms. I'm also very bummed that you're not going to Brazil but maybe I'll be able to get out there that weekend. I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weeder bike ride was perfect. I loved every moment of the breathtaking blossoms and being there with the 'die hards' (who might also be labled 'pansies' since our end destination was a bunch of flowers). The tree-hang pic is my favorite Jenny, you make an adorable monkey. And those crepes... mmmmm... Cheers to you for introducing me into the world o' biking!!

    ReplyDelete