Highlights from the trip:
- People watching outside of Penn Station and seeing such treats as a very pregnant woman who was wearing a shirt that said "I'm single" on the front and "Call me" on the back
- Walking back to Jen's apartment in Harlem at 1:30 in the morning after grocery shopping and seeing police tape blocking off a large area and seeing a helicopter overhead with a huge spotlight patrolling the area. I ask "Was someone murdered?" Jen responds very casually "Yea, probably."
- Biking almost the entire perimeter of Manhattan. Although at times I feared for my life dodging cars, and had to bike in weather that was 94 degrees and very humid (after I wiped my face on my sleeve there was black exhaust covering my shirt sleeve). It was still exhilarating and I think the best way to see the city, we biked along the Hudson, through Battery Park, up Fifth Avenue and through Central Park. Here we are right next to the Stock Exchange on Wall Street.
- Front row tickets to the Broadway show Curtains starring David Hyde Pierce who we found strangely attractive.
- Eating this truly decadent dessert at Max Brenner Chocolate by the Bald Man and catching up with old friends living in New York. Jane a good friend since elementary school and Julie who I met in D.C. and recently moved to NYC for grad school.
- Sleeping out on the roof of Jen's apartment
- A random picnic in the primary room after church and an exercise where the boys in town for summer gave Jen their security sales pitch and she tried to convince them to vote for Obama.
- Waking up to a brunch Sunday morning that Jen had made of corn pancakes with strawberries and yogurt.
- This is as close as it gets to the beach in Manhattan. It was close to 100 degrees that day and anytime we saw even a tiny piece of grass there were people laying out. Hilarious.
Dutch Bike Dutch. This was the second time I attended this event that has become a D.C. favorite. A great activity no matter how avid of a biker you are. We drive up to Amish country and bike through the rural countryside. And I just have a bond with bikers, here are more instant best friends, Lisa and Tyler. And yes I know right now the song "primary colors are one, two, three" is going through your head right now.
Another high to remember was sitting in the front row of the show and having one of the actors come up out of the pit and practically touch us which sent us into terrified screams - to the great amusement of the band members below.
ReplyDeleteYou'd think it would feel threatening meeting another version of yourself in the flesh, but instead it's kind of validating and extremely fun.
Thanks for rockin' the city with me!
P.S. Just found out that DHP is gay. Sad day for us.
So fun! Keep the stories coming... You, Jenny Corry, are an inspiration. Btw, I, as well, have heard many great and glorious things about Jen. But sadly I have not met her and sounds like my window of opportunity is quickly closing. Sad.
ReplyDeleteYou know my feelings on bikers... although, peddling amongst the Amish does sound rather appealing given that they don't drive any cars!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun weekend!! It was so good to see you. Anytime you need a trip to NYC, jus call me up. Especially if it involved chocolates. :)
ReplyDeleteI heart NYC. I love that you biked there! I wish I had a bike the last time we visited. And I am super jealous I missed the "mormon night" at the death cab for cutie concert!
ReplyDelete