Thursday, April 17, 2008
Excuse me Miss, but what exactly are you doing?
This was the greeting I got from a D.C. cop yesterday when I was driving downtown looking for parking after I had picked up my family. He knocked on my window so politely I thought he was going to help me find a parking spot. No, he was knocking on my window to ask me why I had been driving on the left side of the road. I looked at him confused and said "but I thought this was a one way road." I looked to my right and saw a long line of cars being entertained by my mishap and confirmed that there was a double yellow line. I definitely put the car in reverse and backed up half a block to the end of the line my head bowed in shame. Arguably putting myself more at risk than driving on the wrong side of the road.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh honey! Great story. I've never done anything quite like that, but I certainly have had those moments. I'm happy he didn't write up an repercussions...
ReplyDeleteHave fun with your family!!!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHilarious. When Ali and I were driving yesterday, we were trying so hard to figure out where we were going, that we didn't see the "clearly posted" no right turn sign. Yup. We turned down a 1-way street. As soon as we did it, she realized and turned into a parking lot, with a cop on her tails. Now, she tried (with no luck) to explain this: who in their right mind would WANT to turn down a 1-way street in rush hour traffic? Answer me that. Obviously it was a little mistake. Doesn't deserve a ticket, right officer? Wrong.
ReplyDeleteThat is funny. you should have just told the cop, "what? it is just paint." as he pointed to the double line.
ReplyDeleteExcuse me _____, but what are you exactly doing - must be common procedure as I was asked the same thing by D.C.'s finest.
ReplyDeleteI was in D.C. on a weekend one time and got trapped by those random closings of streets do to some stupid parade or protest. I was trapped in a closed off street and got the same question as I was confronted by D.C.'s finest.
haaaa. that is awesome! That made my day. :) It was great seeing you at the capitol on thurs. Great minds think alike!
ReplyDeleteOne way streets are the WORST. Maybe you should kindly tell the cop THAT. Kidding, I'm really sorry Jenny - sometimes those kinds of things are the last straw:) I was driving Hollie and I around in Georgetown on Saturday, when she very calmly turned and said 'um, isn't this a one way?' Leave it to Hollie to be diplomatic about a one-way street.
ReplyDeleteUm, p.s. LOVED meeting your fantastic family! They were so fun. We've talked about how you look exactly like your mom and sister, how fantastic that granola was, and how much we love you.
ReplyDeleteOh Jen.....I can relate....you are your mother's child and she is definitely my sister! What an awsome pix with the cherry blossoms!
ReplyDeleteLove you!
Aune Melanie