
You may think that this moose is just a sweet and innocent animal wandering through the mountains looking for food and family. That may be your impression now, but when he is staring you down from ten feet away he will make you want to wet your pants. On my trip to Utah last weekend Des and I went biking in American Fork canyon. We had been going for no longer than five minutes when I slammed on my brakes because directly in front of me on the path was this moose. I know, the picture isn't as impressive from fifty feet away. But it's the best I could do because I was so scared and didn't want to do anything that would startle it when it was close. Des and I really aren't up to par on our wilderness survival skills and so when we both realized we had no idea what to do, retreat, play dead, climb a tree....we decided to do the only thing we did know how to do. After our friend Bullwinkle took a few more steps towards us we decided to pray. And of course no sooner had we started praying that the moose turned away from us and got off our bike path and walked around us. My testimony grew, the crisis was averted, and the bike ride was spectacular.
Thank goodness Bullwinkle (or is it Rocky?) let you be! Having been near (not THAT near) to a moose once, I agree that they're much scarier than they look in calendars and IMAX films. Great idea to forego the other survival options, and pray first. Certain component of a great talk one day.
ReplyDeleteThe photo is beautiful - I miss Utah in the fall, even if fall is short there it is so so sweet. Looking forward to our long, lustrous season here, and hope our colors are as beautiful this year.
Glad you had fun, and glad you're home!
You are so right about the moose being the scariest animal in the woods. Well, maybe the most surprisingly scary. You don't expect them to be so big and ready to charge. But...they will totally run you down.
ReplyDeleteGlad we're back in the VA!
you are pretty much my hero. i didn't even realize there were moose in utah! is this common?
ReplyDeleteExcellent moose pic. You got awfully close to snap that one off.... By the way, that version of heartbeats is the original, and Jose Gonzalez (i am assuming that is the version you heard first) covered it. FYI Music trivia.
ReplyDelete